Thursday, April 7, 2011

thrifty adventures


Yes, I buy vintage sewing books. They are a little hard to resist. I just love them for the pictures and graphics alone. And just look at all the wonderful things you can learn from 1980.


How to pack for a 5 day trip. This will help since I'm going to Salt Lake City in May to see my sisters. I am already packing in my mind, deciding what to wear, and what else I may need to buy before I leave.


You can teach your little cute pixie friend how to slay dragons and teach your cat not to scratch at your polyester pants. This might even be some great inspiration for a halloween costume. I would just need a bigger spool. Like to my ankles.



And from 1972 look at all the things you could learn. I especially love the doll over the toilet paper. It's a classic.


A perfect hostess gift. Just crochet a poodle to cover a good bottle of whiskey and pop on over to your neighbors house. You will be welcome back anytime. And maybe each time you can crochet a different animal for each bottle you bring. Crochet a menagerie of bottles for the bar.


Make a tulle swan for your daughter's bed. Or maybe it's a swan hat. Perfect for a sweet 16 birthday present. Nothing else says I love you, like scratchy pink tulle.

And who wouldn't love a fur rat doorstop! I think it would be made a little cuter if it was called a mouse. Mice are cute. Rats, not so much. My 6 year old daughter actually wants to make this. I bet she thinks it's a mouse too.





This is a 1975 book of things to make for children. Not by them. Not even with them. But it does have some great stuff. Sure to keep you busy, making things for your children.



Just look at this doll house! It's nicer than the house I live in. I bet the doll's even dress better than I do. Wouldn't this be great to find at a thrift though. Or more likely an estate sale.

And a patchwork dog. I know I have seen this on etsy. Too bad this picture isn't in color. The fabric looks fantabulous!

Did you know that more than 25 million Americans hunt for antiques. What did you find this week? Link up here and just post our button on your blog post or sidebar. And check out Stacey's great finds. She took me around last week to some of her favorite thrift shops.



5 comments:

The Vegetarian Hunter said...

These books are fantastic! Let me know how that scratchy hat turns out! HA HA
With parents making creepy clowns like the one on the cover of that book, no wonder Stephen King was able to write his book, IT. I am still scared of clowns!
Cheers,
Carolyn

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Laughing at some of those creations and your comments - I had a bean frog toy when I was little, and those loo-roll crinoline ladies are classic. I am seriously scared of the 'swan' though, it looks like something far more, erm, phallic to me!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Your post made me laugh so hard I almost fell off the chair! I am going to dig out a couple of mine to share!

Julie Bagamary said...

What fun!

Julie H said...

Coming over from the Domestic Fashionista :) Love your cute stuff! I'm in Tracy so not too far away :)