Monday, December 27, 2010

my vintage love




I do love it. This is my pattern. The one I collect. Pink Dogwood. I still remember when I went with my mom to pick it out. It was like choosing a wedding pattern. Serious stuff for a serious collection.

SpringChickenVintage

My Mom made sure that each of her girl's had a pattern. Which I think put her in a good spot for gift giving. She always knew what we liked! This blue glass, Moderntone, is Mary's pattern. Which I always thought was a good one for a military wife with two boys.


sugarplumbaby

And Judith started out with this pretty pink Cherry Blossom pattern. So lovely and pink. She now just likes getting any glass that is pink. But I do like to pick this one for her when I can find it.


My Mom has a beautiful green pattern of glass. That I couldn't find a picture of to show you. It is a fun pattern because they never made any wine glasses only water goblets. That glass was produced only during prohibition. No alcohol was allowed!



Tonnies

But now, this is the glass that I buy for her. She got a few pieces of it for Christmas. One I paid 50 cents for, don't tell her! My mom remembers it being sold at the grocery store, and never liked it then. That's when she only bought Waterford glass. Our tastes are always changing!

link party

8 comments:

Bonnie Lee said...

Nice informative piece about your love of my favorite of all colors of depression glass; the pink! Something so girly and cozy about the pink ***smile*** Thank you for a link to my ETSY shop (sugarplumbaby)where I have a few pieces for sale.

PinkGranny said...

Lovely! I have one pink dogwood plate! I love it. I also have a low cake plate with another pattern. I found some green plates with a delicate pattern similar to what my Mother in Law has collected. It is fun to find and lovely to look at. When I was a girl it seems there were many glasses at the gas station, the grocery store and in detergent boxes. My mother said there were even more in her day. Imagine bonuses like that today! Oh well, I know...times have changed. Thanks for sharing your pieces.

Apron Thrift Girl said...

What a beautiful collection. I still remember my mother's little set of pink depression cake plates. I think she still has them. We'd never eat on them of course but they were always in her china cabinet to be admired and love.

Joy said...

Yes...tastes do change with the times, for sure! I grew up with my Mother telling me stories of playing in the basement where wooden barrels of depression glass were "rainy day" distractions for kids!! Imagine! Barrels of the stuff! And if it got broken during playtime, no worries! (It was "only" collecting dust, afterall!) What would I give to see it/have it now???....priceless!

Anonymous said...

I remember Saturday trips to antique shops with my mother to look at glassware her mother had once had. We never purchased much, which may be where my preference for yard sales and thrift stores comes. It was more shopping for memories.
Coming from clumsy people I would be afraid to have anything so delicate in my home.

Jen said...

I collect amber Madrid, pink Miss America, and White Moonstone. I've been collecting it since I was about 15 years old and now I'm 30. I love every piece: )

Sharrieboberry said...

I collect Florentine I & II in pink, green, and crystal. I love to pull out the dishes to use for dessert or when friends are over.

I really love all pink & green depression glass. Oh my! I've been collecting mine for 20 years. I didn't think it was that long ago! I do not "seek" it out constantly but always look for a piece every now and then. :)

Karen said...

Your collection is beautiful. I like the story of how everyone in your family collects a different color - what a fun thing to share! And shopping for gifts must be a real pleasure. (like I need another excuse to go to an antique store or thrift store - LOL) ~ Karen