Saturday, January 9, 2010

fancy tutorial

I was out shopping today at my favorite shop where I saw some sophisticated headbands.  Reminded me of my fancy ones!  And it also reminded me that I promised you a tutorial.  So here it is.  And if you make one or are inspired by one please, please, please send me a picture of it!  I would love to see it.



Remember the Design Team challenge was to use a little piece of jewelry that I already had.  So I pulled this little bit together.

Fancy Girls Headband


Supplies:  swiss dot fabric,  needle and thread, black headband, fabric glue, vintage jewelry pin

  • Cut a 2” strip from the swiss dot.  I used a 64” length.

  • With a needle and thread, sew a running stitch down the length of the fabric.  Then pull the end to gather slightly. Knot your thread and cut.  You can also do this with your sewing machine.




  • Position the gathered fabric onto your head band. Glue down the swiss dot.  I used fabric glue, but I think hot glue would work just as well.  Let dry the required amount of time.




  • Pick your little gems and position them wherever you like best on the headband.




  • My pin still had the clasp on the back, so I was able to pin it onto the headband.  I then went around and tacked it down for added security with a few extra hidden stitches.


Now it’s ready to wear about town in your fanciest party dress!

5 comments:

Cindy Schultz said...

Thanks for the inspiration! Rachel and I are looking forward to creating our own.

katiejean said...

Thanks Cindy! I'm sure you will make something wonderful! Be sure to send me a photo :)

Anjanette said...

So neat! I love it!

Rachel said...

Oh wow, this is gorgeous! I can't wait to give this a shot! I would love to link to it if you didn't mind.

Stephanie said...

Wow that looks awesome, and I bet it looks good on too! If I could just find the time to pull together stuff from what I have... I would be stylin!